Google Website Translator Gadget

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

Panera Bread periodically offers a Forest Mushroom Soup that is fabulous. Because they only offer it as a seasonal soup, I formulated this recipe. Jordan loves it and says it is better than Panera's. That's my boy!

1 1/2 Pounds Wild Mushrooms (I used 8 oz. each button and crimini and package of wild mushroom blend which included shitake, oyster, and mini bella)
1 Medium Shallot, chopped
4 Tablespoons Butter, divided
2 Springs Fresh Rosemary, chopped
2-3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 Cup Merlot
2 Cups Beef Stock
3 Cups Half & Half
Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in stock pot; cook shallot until translucent. Add all sliced mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt & pepper. Simmer until tender.

Once mushrooms are tender, pull out the thyme sprigs. Push the mushrooms to the side and add the remaining butter to the center of the pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour into melted butter and whisk out lumps. Cook this for a few moments to cook out flour taste. Add Merlot, beef stock, and half & half while stirring. Salt and pepper as needed. Just before serving, add parsley.

Serve with crusty bread.

I'm linking this post to Show & Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design and Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.


  1. Hi La! I love to go to Paneras's and I love their mushroom soup! Your recipe sounds delicious! You must be a good cook!~Hugs, Patti

  2. Found your blog quite by accident and so happy I did.. I need to make your "Mushroom soup" those little mushrooms in and on anything...
    Take care!

  3. This was very odd.. went back to my e'mail and there you were commenting on my "Palm trees".... shall I say do-do-dodo!
    Thanks for stopping by!

  4. This soup sounds incredibly delicious! Of course, with merlot and 3 cups of half-and-half, it has o be great! lol
    Can't wait to try it!

  5. La, this sounds delicious. I love mushrooms and put them in everything I can get by with. I'm going to have to try your recipe.

    Thanks for sharing and have a great week, Annette

  6. Costco offers a fabulous blend of dried wild mushrooms.... I'm definitely going to give this recipe a go. Thanks for mentioning Panera's soup - I always order the black bean, which is amazing, but next time I see this on their menu, I'll have to try it out.


  7. I would never eat a canned mushroom soup but I would eat this beautiful homemade creation. I had a similar soup on my wedding day and I still dream about it....the soup not the day. Lol. Just kidding, it was a great day too.

  8. I made this recipe and it was absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making it again!


Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La