Google Website Translator Gadget

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Day Time Stood Still: 9/11

Today, please stop a moment to remember those who had their lives taken on this date in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Do you remember the moment
you heard a plane had crashed into
one of the World Trade Center towers?


Earlier that morning, I had viewed New York City on a live online video-cam. The camera was focused on Lady Liberty with the Twin Towers gleaming behind her. It was such a beautiful day in NYC.

Within minutes, a co-worker came by and said a plane crashed into one of the World Trade Center Towers. I immediately pulled up the video-cam; it was blank. Still, I assumed it was an accident involving a small plane, perhaps a tourist helicopter....little did I know. Next, came the reports of another plane flying into the second tower, an attack on the Pentagon, and an accounted for plane thought to be heading for the White House. It was so surreal, as if time stood still.

Our company's CEO walked down to our department manager and instructed him to allow us to go home. No one knew just how extensive the senseless attacks were going to be and he wanted us to be safely at home with our families.

I arrived at home just as the first tower collapsed. I fell into a chair bawling uncontrollably. How could this happen?


All these years later, I get the same sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about seeing the World Trade Center's Twin Towers collapsing into a pile of rubble; hearing reports of the attack on the Pentagon, the speculation that the White House would be the next target, and finally, the reports of the downed plane in Pennsylvania.

Please remember the innocent airline passengers, building occupants and the brave first responders (police, fire, port authority) who lost their lives and the loved ones who miss them.

  • American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into World Trade Center's North Tower, 8:46 AM
  • United Airlines Flight 175 flew into World Trade Center's South Tower, 9:03 AM
  • American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon, 9:37 AM
  • United Airlines Flight 93, headed for an attack on the White House, crashed in a rural Pennsylvania field after the passengers fought back.
I will never forget these events, nor do I want to.

5 comments:

  1. I too will never forget this horrible attack on the United States. I have a flag that states "never forget" that I have hanged outside of our house every Sept. 11 since that deplorable act was committed.
    God Bless the USA.
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will never forget. Nor should we. I do remember where I was and couldn't believe it when the second tower was hit. America will never be the same. But we will be strong. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't forget and there has been so many reminders on TV today, when you watch it it puts you right back in time!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were watching events unfold on the TV. No-one spoke, no-one could believe what they were seeing.
    Everwhere you went afterwards, English people were so sad for our American cousins, people were in tears, we could hardly take it in, that such a proud and powerful country like USA could be attacked like that. All those people killed and their poor families...It seems like only yesterday somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La