Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blast from the Past: Better than the Wells Fargo Wagon

For decades children at play have turned deaf ears to their parents’ calls for dinner, bathtime or errands, but their hearing miraculously improves with the very first note of music from an ice cream truck in the distance.

Mom…

Mom…

Mom…

Mo--om!!!

The Ice Cream Man is coming!  
Hurry!  I’m going to miss him…

Ahhh, memories.  

Not all Good Humor men are created equal, however.
There was the Popsicle Man who served rocket popsicles, fudgesicles, push-ups, drumsticks and individual ice cream cups with those HORRIBLE WOODEN PADDLES to use as a spoon.

But the true frozen treat of the summer came from the Dairy Clipper.  Even Mom ran out to the curb when the Dairy Clipper came down the street.

Chuck (Dad’s name)…

Chuck…

Chuck…

Chu--uck!!!  
The Dairy Clipper is coming!  
Hurry!  We are going to miss him… 
The Dairy Clipper was an ice cream shop on wheels.  It served ice cream cones, sundaes, banana splits, shakes, and malts.  

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

Do you remember running after the ice cream truck?
Sunday, July 17 is National Ice Cream Day
You are invited to an Ice Cream Social at
A Musing Potpourri
Click HERE for details



MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember the ice cream truck, but I don't have to just savor a memory, because there's one that drives through our rural community. The familiar calliope-like music and the slow speed - a truck full of creamsicles and popsicles - all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes I remember them well. Our Good Humor man was named Phil. He showed up every night right after the "rides" came. We had the 'whip' and the 'half-moon'. I loved the chocolate eclair pop. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I remember it well! I remember my heart pounding as I tried to scrounge up coins around the house on my own because it was quicker then trying to track down my mom. LOL! I loved icee's in a cone with bubble gum in the bottom or ice cream sandwich bars. It was always so hard to decide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can still remember running barefoot on hot black top chasing the truck and the smell as he opened the little side doors to get the ice cream out:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you believe we never had ice cream trucks where I lived. Too small of a town I guess. My husband tells stories of being banned by the ice cream truck guy because they used to through firecrackers in his truck. Can't imagine why they got banned?

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy (belated) 4th of July!

    We still have ice cream vans here in England :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI La-

    I have many fond memories of chasing down the ice cream man. What fun that was. He was banned from the neighborhood after a new family moved in when I was about 12. They didn't like that the music woke up their children as they went to bed at 7pm every night and complained. You can imagine they were not a well liked family after that.
    Congrats on 1 year of blogging. I look forward to following you for many many more.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes! The ice cream trucks still come around every day in my neighborhood. I'm old enough to remember when a Good Humor cone cost a dime ..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will never forget my daughter, at age 4, putting four fingers to her lips (to whistle) and screaming WEEEE-OOOO-WEEEEEEE to get the ice cream truck to stop.
    J and I always laugh when we remember!
    Unfortunately, there are no ice cream trucks in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in the city and don't remember them from my childhood but I sure so from my sons growing up. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La