Google Website Translator Gadget

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ice Cream Memories

If you haven’t figured it out yet, I love ice cream. Its cold creamy goodness satisfies my sweet tooth, but it also soothes my soul by reminding me of wonderful memories.

Memories, light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories of the way we were.

Grandpa Benson
We never visited my grandpa without being offered a bowl of ice cream. If there wasn’t any in the freezer, my step grandmother would walk down to the corner to buy some. Your ice cream was always served with Vanilla Waffle Cream Cookies. I always called them ice cream cone cookies.

Mom
My mom was a notoriously slow eater. She was always the last one finished with dinner and she was always scolding us to slow down. The one exception was ice cream. She could finish a cone in record time.

As adults, we kids always joked that you never wanted Mom to fix your ice cream cone if it was melting because when you got it back, it was half gone. I wish she were here so I could tease her.

Jordan
Like his Grandma Phyllis and Great-Grandpa Benson, Jordan loves ice cream. Peach is his favorite. I will never forget his first taste of ice cream.

First, let me tell you Jordan was a very happy and mild-mannered baby. The only time he fussed is when he was hungry or had a dirty diaper.

His first taste of ice cream came when he was only about 6 months old, if that. Mom and I were at the mall with him and we got ice cream cones. I decided to let him taste it. He liked it, A LOT. He would squeal each time I took a lick and when it was gone…um TOTAL MELTDOWN! We’re talking red face, body stiffening, somebody is killing me screams. We had to walk all the way to the other end of the mall with him screeching like banshee. Although I was embarrassed at the time, now it is a sweet memory.

Do you have ice cream memories?

Don’t forget to join me on National Ice Cream Day, July 17, for an Ice Cream Social link party. Link posts with recipes, memories, photos, or poetry associated with this frozen treat. You can also link any frozen dessert, gelato, sorbet, sherbet, popsicle or yogurt recipe. There just may be a special treat for those who join in the fun.
Hope to see you there!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

11 comments:

  1. I love ice cream too! Rum and raisin...mmmm x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i usually have a tub of
    chocolate marshmallow in
    the freezer but i've been
    known to sneak a box of
    nutty buddy cones in there too!
    BEAR HUGS
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a family of ice cream lovers too! Both my husbands side and my side. We have ice cream every night! And in the summer its a trip to dairy queen all the time! love reading your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice cream disappears so fast in our house I rarely buy it any more.
    My first son hadn't had any refined sugar for his first year or so of life. We ran into my niece at the mall one day when he was about a year old. She offered him a taste of her ice cream cone.
    He took a lick and it was so bitter to him he spat it out shaking his head. I guess when you first have refined sugars they are not sweet but bitter.
    Don't worry. He has outgrown the aversion.
    Oh and make mine chocolate mint or maple walnut please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought an ice cream maker and made my first batch!!! Oh I love ice cream,everyone in my family does, me I am the vanilla, the rest are chocolate marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to work on my post today, La! My childhood memories are full of ice cream moments. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is an ice cream lover. I am more of an occasional creamy whip person. My grandma however adored ice cream and ate it every single day. She would buy a grocery store brand, let it soften to get the "air out" then smoosh it down, add some real cream and refreeze it. Vanilla or fudge swirl were her favorites. Can't wait to meet you at the Buckeye get together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jordan still screams like a banshee when he doesn't get his ice cream!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. My post has been ready for a couple weeks! Can't say the ice cream I made is around any more though...:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Auntie Mare posted this on Facebook:

    Your blog today on ice cream memories was so cute. I have a little story & was telling Haleigh about it awhile back. Karen always came to spend the summers with us. She was probably around 10 at the time. Dad would take us to Prospect a lot for soft ice cream cones in the hot evenings. One evening Karen decided she was going to see if the ice cream would stay in the cone if she turned it upside down. Well guess what, it didn't. Dad/Grandpa wasn't too happy then with her. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La