Google Website Translator Gadget

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Alphabe Thursday: Z is for Zanesville, Ohio

Recently I spent a few days in Zanesville, Ohio for business.  It is a pretty city in hilly terrain.  Here's what I know about Zanesville:

It is the home of Patti at Crystal Rose Cottage. 

It is the county seat for Muskingum County and sets on the banks of the Muskingum River.
It is an unusual place to try to drive.  I stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express.  It's a beautiful hotel sitting atop a hill overlooking downtown.  The problem?  I couldn't figure out how to get to it.  I could see it, but could not for the life of me figure out how to get to it. 
I tried to follow my Google directions, but I didn't arrive at the hotel.  I stopped for dinner at Wendy's and asked how to get there.  I had three different people tell me different ways.  


I had to chuckle because one of the teens said to another, I'm trying to tell her how to get to Mike's house.  I interjected, I'm trying to get to Holiday Inn Express.  My understanding is that Mike's house is the only house on that road.  


I left Wendy's even more confused.  I drove around a few moments and finally found the drive leading up the hill.  Sure enough, there was Mike's house to the right of the hotel.  I felt better the next day when all my co-workers had the same difficulty and they had GPS. 

Speaking of confusing directions, it is also the home of the Y-bridge.  The historic Y-bridge spans the confluence of the Licking and Muskingum Rivers in downtown Zanesville.  It has been re-built several times since its first construction in 1814.  
Google Image
It can be a little unsettling to ask for directions and to be instructed to drive to the center of the bridge and turn right.

Although it is a challenge to navigate, it is a beautiful city and the people were so friendly.  If you ever visit and stay at the Holiday Inn Express, be sure to wave at Mike's house.      

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

I will be linking this post to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday. 

21 comments:

  1. I remember my son calling us and telling us he could see the apartment building but he kept saying "I can't get there from here". At the time he had just moved to New York City and was trying to find his new home. Being in Va. I was so upset that I couldn't help him. :) That bridge is amazing. Does it have a stop light on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi La! Imagine my surprise when I seen my own header on your blog! lol...I wish I had known you were visiting Zanesville! I don't know when you were here but I have been under the weather the past few days...had the grandchildren last week for over a week.(If that gives you any idea)Could have just been sheer exhaustion. If you looked north up the river from where you were staying, I live on one of those far hills to the left. I know what you mean about that drive up to the hotel! Thanks for showcasing where I live! Have a great day!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adventure! I love that bridge. Our GPS tell us sometimes to turn right when we are on the bridge crossing the Ohio River. but that's because it's a street under the bridge for a while and it has a hard time telling which one you are on. Love the building that is gorgeous!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A "Y" bridge? How can that be a good idea??? Sounds like an adventure! Your meatball sliders sound good, can't wait to see them:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny to have a y bridge in a town that starts with Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a bridge like that one! What a clever idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Zanesville, but how interesting a Y-bridge. I've never seen one before now. Cool Z-post!

    ~Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
    The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

    Check out…
    Z is for ...{Alphabe-Thursday Meme} post.
    Don't Get Left Behind {More Thursday Memes} post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi La,
    Wow, what a perfect Z! and Patti's home looks so beautiful. I've never seen a bridge like that before--amazing! I hope that you are having a wonderful day!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a most interesting city. I've visited 45 countries and 25 Caribbean islands and I don't think I've ever seen a "Y" bridge before.

    My Alphabe Thursday post is at:

    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2011/04/alphabe-thursday-z-is-for-zebra-april-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots.

    =)

    PS. I am an expert on getting lost. Even with a GPS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is an amazing bridge! Love your Z post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You forgot to mention all the pottery history around there. I used to drive through there on the expressway, but rarely stopped. Probably would have gotten lost when trying to get back on the expressway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos...did you visit with Pam??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun visit as it looks like a neat place!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are too funny and I would be wondering if someone told me that bridge direction too. I'll call you if I ever need to go to Zanesville, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that was interesting. It is always fun to "visit" someplace I've never been. I don't like driving in my little normal town all that much...that bridge would freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Lady! I want to visit Zanesville and drive the Y bridge and find Mike's house and see that beautiful looming building. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. did you get to go to the longaberger homestead? it is just north of zanesville, ohio. also when i go there i stay at a nice little bed and breakfast place. its called whispering hills. the couple, tom and joellen, that run the place are just wonderful. the cost is very very good too.it is on north morrison road just south of dresdan. it is only a few miles from the longaberger homestead factory. her phone is 740) 754- 1512. i am sure she wouldnt mind my posting this. i found it on the internet by googling whispering hills b and b. i have stayed there several times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun Y bridge...and such a cute little bunny with floppy ears on your side bar...where did you get him?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Zanesville. I remember it fondly. Well, sort of anyway, from my years of living in Ohio. Actually I always got lost there for some reason.

    I forgot all about the Y bridge. How cool to take this trip down memory lane!

    Thanks for participating in Alphabe-Thursday!

    And now I'm off to check out your ham and cheese quiche recipe!

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La