Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cranberry Orange Scones

Happy Friday!

If it's Friday, it must be time for Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum.  Today, I am sharing Cranberry Orange Scones.  This is an Ina Garten recipe and it is delightful.  
Let's Cook!

Cranberry Orange Scones
4 Cups plus 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour, divided
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Grated Orange Zest
3/4 Pound Cold Unsalted Butter, diced
4 Extra-large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 Cup Cold Heavy Cream
1 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Egg beaten with 2 Tablespoons of Milk or Water, for egg wash
1/2 Cup Confectioners' Sugar
4 Teaspoons Orange Juice, freshly sqeezed


Preheat oven to 400* F. 


In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour with 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest.  Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas.  Combine the eggs and cream.  With the mixer on the lowest speed, slowly add the liquid to the dry ingredients.  Mix until just blended.  The dough will look lumpy.  Combine the dried cranberries with 1/4 cup flour, add to the dough and mix on low speed until blended. 

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball.  Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4 inch thick.  You should see bits of butter throughout the dough.  Cut scones using a cookie/biscuit cutter or a knife.  I used a knife.  Place the scones on a parchment lined baking sheet.  

Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the inside is fully baked.  The scones will be firm to the touch.  Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioner's sugar and orange juice, drizzle over the cooled scones. 
I enjoyed my scone with Orange Spice Tea.  YUM!
Next Foodie Friday join me at Michelle's for the beginning of the party to celebrate the publishing of Gone with a Handsomer Man.  You won't want to miss the great food and festivities.  
 
MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!    

 

16 comments:

  1. These really look delicious and I have heard great reviews on her scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous LA...my family love scones..I must try this, thanks for sharing and Happy Friday to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out great La! Wish I had one now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LA, could you overnight me some of them. I adore scones and yours look particularly good. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scones are one of my absolute faves!! Have some cranberry orange one in the freezer as a matter of fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey La, those look lovely. They sound so perfect for this beautiful weather we are starting to have, and hello Ina is just awesome, so naturally they will be TASTY.

    Thanks for stopping by to say hello today, I would have responded to your thru email, but you are a no-reply gal, :( see if you can change that girl, I hate not being able to respond to people leaving comments for me, BUT not everyone will take the time to visit the blog to respond.

    Have a wonderful day my friend, and enjoy those beautiful scones.

    Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
    Hugs,
    Bella :)**AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also I would LOVE to invite you to check out my new PINTEREST BOARDS let me know what you think!!
    Thanks girl :)

    Naturally I had to add these yummy scones to my YUMMY board.

    Hugs,

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMM. I DO like scones very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scones. These flavors look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! Now I must go find me a snack, lol.
    Have a great week-end, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! I love virtual scones! They sure don't taste quite the same, but they are on my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my....I could sure use one of those with my tea this morning. Beautiful looking & so luscious!
    Congratulations on winning the beautiful pink candle thingie from Lynn over at Happier than a pig in mud! Isn't she a hoot?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would be my favorite food in the WORLD! I LOVE wonderful scones and this combination is very yummy! I am trying to maintain my weight loss so I don't bake as much! Wish I could just make TWO! heehee! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. look delicious! cant wait to try!
    have a good week!
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks and sounds delicious! I love scones :-)
    Thank you so much for wishing Jordan a Happy Birthday. I know he was so encouraged.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La