Google Website Translator Gadget

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Celebrity Cook-Along: Ree Drummond aka Pioneer Woman

Howdy Partners!  I'm Cowboy Carl.
Cowboy Carl
It's April 15, which means it is time to hop over to Lynn's blog, Happier Than a Pig In Mud, for her monthly celebrity cook-along.  Ya'll know Lynn don't cha?  If you don't, you must be new 'round these parts.  Skidattle on over an' visit her a spell.  Ya'll be glad ya done did.  
OK, enough of the stereotypical cowboy talk.
April's celebrity chef is Ree Drummond, aka Pioneer Woman.  You can read about Ree's recent book signing in Buckeye Country HERE.   
Stockyards: Fort Worth, Texas

Ree is certainly used to cooking for the modern day cowboys (Now you're talkin') on her Oklahoma ranch.  She specializes in flavorful recipes that pack a punch.  Today I am offering a cowboy approved recipe for Mini Meatball Sandwiches.  These sliders are ideal for cowboys of all sizes. 
Let's cook!

Pioneer Woman Mini Meatball Sandwiches
1 Pound Ground Chuck or Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Panko or Regular Plain Bread Crumbs
1 Clove Garlic, chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 Medium Onion, diced
1 Jar (large) Marinara Sauce
12 Dinner Rolls (or Slider Rolls)
4 Slices Provolone Cheese, cut into 4 wedges each

Mix meat with bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and milk.  Knead together with hands.  Roll into heaping tablespoon-sized balls.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and cook for one minute.  Add meatballs between the onions and brown for one minute.  You may need to brown the meatballs in batches depending on the size of your skillet.  

Pour in jar of marinara; shake pan gently to mix.  Put on lid and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. 
When ready to serve, cut each dinner roll in half.  Place a wedge of Provolone on the top and bottom of each roll.  Spoon a meatball with the sauce onto the bottom bun; top with top bun.  The meatball melts the cheese just right.  YUM!

Serve immediately...or after photos. 
These sliders were very tender and delicious.  Typically, if we have meatball sandwiches, I place the meatballs in a sub roll.  I enjoyed this version because of the bread to meatball to cheese ratios.  These are much easier for the small hands of your younger cowpokes, too.  This recipe is a keeper.   

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

17 comments:

  1. I have her book and about all her recipes are keepers. Some are a bit over the top on calories but are delicious. I'll post mine later today. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those looks so yummy. I may have to try them tonight. I generally love all her recipes because they are real people food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post La! Lovin' Cowboy Carl, but he looks like he could use a sandwich or two:@) The meatballs sound great, and I'm with you, I usually use deli rolls so the soft roll would be a nice change. Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great lookin' sliders! Definitely going to be making these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's my kind of food! :-)

    Thanks for posing the recipe :-)

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh La! La! You've made me good and hungry here! I like Ree, but my true love is Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great recipe...I'll have to give it a whirl!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to stop this. I'm starving, and I just ate!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi La, those meatballs sure look good! It must have been tough to do the photos before serving! The soft smaller rolls are a great idea! I'll be trying these. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMYGOSH, I have changed what we;re having for summer 3 times already. These look sooo good. I've not fixed any of her recipes that weren't just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehaw! These sandwiches look delicious! I have Ree's cookbook and I've looked at these, but I just haven't fixed them yet. You've convinced me that I need to try them. My Malboro Man will love me if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. La, This is a very creative post! Love the cowboy influence and what a great recipe! Mmmmmmm!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post complete with tasty looking snacks, thanks for sharing and your kind comments on my post earlier

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post ... I've made these, too ... and they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby would love these. They look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun post! I want to lasso up some ingredients & make these...any type of slider is so much more fun to eat & easier to handle :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La