Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blast from the Past: 70s Fashion

All photos from Google Images

Fashion cycles tend to repeat themselves every 2-3 decades. Many returning styles are fun and updated making for a fresh look. For instance, last summer I bought a really cute retro shirt at Elder Beerman. It was reminiscent of the 1960’s style, but with an updated twist and made from a crepe material. It was very pretty, but the first time I wore it, my boss asked me if I was going on tour with the Partridge Family.  I still liked the shirt, I just bought a tambourine to carry around when I wore it.

There are, however, some styles that I hope never come back in style….

The Leisure Suit was popular in the United States during the 70s and was most closely associated with the Disco Era due, in part, to the success of the movie Saturday Night Fever. For those of you who are too young to remember, not all men look as good as a young John Travolta in a leisure suit.
Conceptually, the leisure suit was a fashionable (a-hem), inexpensive (cheap), comfortable (I’ll give you that) alternative that could be worn at the office or out on the town. Typically, they were made from synthetic material, sometimes shiny. The jacket boasted a wide lapel and large collar. The always-colorful and often bold-patterned shirt was worn open with the collar over the jacket collar. The pants were bell-bottomed and worn over platform shoes.
If you were really a fashion-forward type of guy in the 70s, you could wear the Full Cleveland. The Full Cleveland is a leisure suit, typically powder blue, worn with a white patent leather, or plastic, belt and matching shoes. NICE!
I’m not just going to pick on male fashionistas. We women of the 70s also were afflicted with poor taste. Enter the Disco Era Jumpsuit. I confess I have owned a jumpsuit….or two. I know, I know
How could anyone think these are a good idea? You have to disrobe just to answer nature’s call.
Jumpsuits were made from all sorts of fabrics, from polyester to leather. They may or may not have a belt and the legs may be cropped or bell-bottomed. We had endless options for looking hideous. Check it out!
What styles are you hoping never to see again?

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

16 comments:

  1. Oh this is brilliant!

    I love The Full Cleveland. If someone sidled up to you wearing that you'd run a mile - once you'd stopped laughing! Classic, you've made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is showing my age as I remember all of those fashions!!

    Good times though and I was slim then!! Have a great day , Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being both short and slightly broad I'm hoping the maxi never really comes back but I'm not sure it ever really left...lol...Cute post to read over my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that if you wore a style the first time it was fashionable you should stay away from it the second time it comes back in style. For me, I never want to wear bicycle shorts again. not flattering on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fashions moved on? I hadnt noticed, I still wear the same styles I liked in the 60's and 70's. never a slave to fashion me LOL but I did have those hugely flared trousers in the 70's which we called "loons" and the flares balanced out my chunky thighs, so there was a pay off with that particualr garment :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peasant dress! I had several and thankfully no pictures have I found yet with me in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, I was hoping to see you modeling a leisure suit! I never liked those shirts/jackets, that looked like a blanket. I can't think of the name now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a hoot! I was thinking about jumpsuits the other day. I think shirring or rusching on clothes is making a comeback and I am not to fond of that....

    ReplyDelete
  9. O, La...LA LA LA...*shhhhh...i had a few of these suits, too, and, you are right, i had to get almost buck naked just to p....:)))
    They were sooo ugly but back then, we thought we were hot stuff, struttin' around in them.:))
    Join hands, ladies, in a prayer circle and pray hard they NEVER come back in style. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. boy that was a fun trip! I had a 70's jumpsuit and I loved it!! of course.. I was 10 then. : )
    Happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I lived the 70's and I don't want to ever see any of it anymore!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi La,
    isn't it funny how strange all this clothes look today. And in the 70th they were so en vogue. Time is changing.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL...actually I loved the jumpsuits but they were hard to get in and out of. I loved the disco too. Took dance lessons and everything. I think the low riding jeans of today's style is not a good look even on the young group. I see very few people they look good on. And if you have even a little bit of tummy they aren't attractive. I see where caftans are making a comeback. Hides a multitude of flaws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol, it's a scary thought that these might come back in style, isn't it? I for one, will never own another jumpsuit, for just the reason you mentioned, among others :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH La, I remember all of these all too well...and I'm with you, glad they are gone and hope they don't come back! LOL! Thanks for your comments on my Bachman's house posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it was a great article thanks for sharing this interesting information. commercial embroidery machine

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La