Google Website Translator Gadget

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Alphabe Thursday: Letter S

S is for Saint Patrick.  Saint Patrick is known as the Patron Saint of Ireland.  He was born in Kilpatrick, Scotland in 387.  As a boy of 16, he was carried off into captivity by Irish marauders and sold into slavery.  

According to his confessio, during the six years he tended his master's flock he prayed hundreds of times a day.  His six years of captivity prepared him for his future apostolate.  He was fluent in Celtic and used his knowledge to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ's Passion, Death, and Resurrection.  He died on March 17, 493.
Source
Those who know me well, know that St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite days of the year.  Over the next few weeks, I will share some stories of St. Patrick's Day past, some recipes, and some plans for this year.
Also, Cuisine Kathleen is hosting her annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl on March 15.  Start thinking now about your fun St. Patrick's Day post and join in the fun.    
I am submitting this post as my homework for Jenny Matlock's Alphabe Thursday.  Visit Jenny's blog to read more essays for the letter S.

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!
 

20 comments:

  1. I can't wait. We are heading to Louisiana to Baton Rouge, huge parade there and goes right in front of my sister's house! Irish coffee here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great post on a wonderful Saint. Like the changes to your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I joined in that party last year...it was so fun. I may have to do it again this year! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Blog Crawl was only my second post, it was fun! Time to start thinking green:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! He lived to be 106! Loved the story -- thanks for coming by House Revivals! I do think the tricycle is just that perfect touch :)
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. St. Patrick's Day brings Spring to mind. A double shot of Ss and a smile to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came over to drop off your King Cake...lol And wow, St. Patty's Day is so fun in New Orleans!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I started crawling now, I just might make that crawl!!
    Thanks for the nice comment on my post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love St. Patrick's Day too. JDaniel has a special shirt for the holiday this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh St. Patricks day is always so much fun, it's wonderful of you to share some of the history of this Saint!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also LOVE St. Pat's day, and Ireland is my FAVORITE place to go to!
    I love the new blog design and can't wait to read your stories.

    I am sorry I don't comment more, I can't comment from work, I don't know why. : (

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never got that into St. Patrick's Day, other than wearing green! I know I'm in the minority though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even realize that St. Patrick's day is coming up soon! All this dreary winter weather we've been getting makes it feel like spring will never come. Can't wait to celebrate St. Patrick's day this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. everything is green for the month of March
    i even tolerate green jello =)
    love your shamrocky blog and thanx for
    telling the story of St. Patrick =)
    BEAR HUGS
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I will really look forward to St. Patrick's day this year with more special posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have fond memories of St. Patrick's Day. Probably because my birthday is March 18th. My first legal beer was green!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning La! It's so strange to think of the story taking place in the year 387. Unbelievable.

    I'm always fascinated by history and this was a perfectly interesting visit for Alphabe-Thursday's letter "S".

    Thanks for linking this week!

    Love my visits here!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll look forward to the coming posts!
    I like St Patrick's Day because it's just a happy day, with no baggage about gifts and too much decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like St. Patrick's day, too! Have you ever spent it in Ireland?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La