Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Blast from the Past: Mrs. Beasley


Hello Friends.

Is your week off to a great start?  Monday evening brought strong storms to Central Ohio.  I drove through quite an intense one during my drive home.  I felt like I was in the movie Twister as the wind blew my car a bit. 

It is Tuesday, which means it is time for a Blast from the Past.  Woo-hoo!  I realize that for some of you, the Blast from the Past series is more like Before I was Born...but bear with me. 

When I was a little girl in the 60s, I watched Family Affair.  It starred Brian Keith as a successful bachelor, Bill Davis, who inherits his deceased brother's children: Jody, Buffy, and Cissie.  The family was cared after by Uncle Bill's butler, Mr. French.
Google Images
Six year-old Buffy's favorite toy was her special doll, Mrs. Beasley.  Mrs. Beasley was a gift to Buffy from her late parents and served as her security blanket.  She would tell Mrs. Beasley her secrets and about things that worried her.  

In 1967, Matel produced a 22 inch talking Mrs. Beasley doll.  For you youngsters, she was the Cabbage Patch of her day.  She had blonde hair, sported wire rim glasses, and wore a blue and white polka dot dress.  
Google Images
 Mrs. Beasley spoke 10 phrases.

Do you want to hear a secret?  I know one.
*
Gracious me, you're getting to be such a big girl!
*
I do think you're the nicest little friend I ever had. 
*
It would be such fun to play jump rope, don't you think?
*
 If you could have three wishes, what would you wish for?
*
If you were a little smaller, I could rock you to sleep.
*
Long ago I was a little girl just like you.
*
Speak a little louder dear, so Mrs. Beasley can hear you.
*
Would you like to try on my glasses?  You may if you wish. 
*
You may call me Mrs. Beasley.  Would you like to play?

I'm sure you guessed that I had a Mrs. Beasley doll when I was a little girl.  I loved her very much and she listened to my secrets and worries, too. 
Alas, my inquisitive uncle decided he HAD to know how Mrs. Beasley talked and he performed an autopsy on her.  I think he was the inspiration for Toy Story's Sid.  My poor Mrs. Beasley was never heard from again.  Her memory, however, lives in my heart.  
Tell me... 
what was your favorite toy? 
MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!
Details Here







14 comments:

  1. omgosh.. you brought back some memories. I had that doll!!! I think that it was a hand me down from my older sister. I used to love Buffy and Jody!
    I think that my favorite toys were my barbie dolls ~ the 1970's barbie motor home and my western barbie and Ken. although they are worn and tattered and probably worth nothing ~ they are worth a thousand memories for me, which is why they are still upstairs in a box.

    Have a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this show...and I had the doll too. My sons third grade teachers name was Mr. Beasly, and I always cracked up to my self. Have a great day La.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the show but don't think I had the doll. Barbies-yep, remember the chunky troll dolls with the big poofy hair that stuck straight up? I had a bunch of them, there even was a house for them. I can still remember the smell of the plastic:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sisters had Mrs. Beasly. I was a bit too okld by then and they are a lot younger than me.

    I did have a favorite doll though. It was a Toni Doll. Oh did I love doing her hair and giving her a permanent. Solution was made for the perms with sugar water. And the klittle tiny hair curlers. I kept my doll and my girls played with her until all her banding broke. I wish I had know that she could have been restrung but alas I threw her out no knowing they ahd such a thing as a doll hospital.

    I was almost 60 when I discoverd the red headed one I like I had on e-bay. She now, along with a few others stand proudly in my guest bedroom.

    Oh and my other favoite thing was my bike. I just knew I named it Scout. I just new I would grow uo and mary Tonto from the Lone Ranger. so in honor oif his horse my bike aquired the name Scout.

    Karan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that show. I bought a friend that doll. Mean mean uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat to see this doll and read about her...after all these years! I loved dolls and had a baby doll that wore real baby clothes that was my favorite! So NOW...I have LOTS of dolls and baby clothes! heehee! I'm having a giveaway...stop by when you can! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that show, and I named my cocker spaniel Buffy because of it. I didn't have that doll, but I loved my Chatty Cathy, Saucy Walker, Tiny Tears, and of course my Barbie, Ken and Midge.
    I also loved to roller skate, ride my bike and play "punch ball", a version of softball, I would say. xo, (We had wicked thunder, lightning and torrential rain here late Monday night, too)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted a Mrs. Beasley. I used to love that show. Cissie was very cool and so grown up. And I had a crush on Jody. No idea why, since I think he is sort of goofy looking now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You brought back good memories. I never had a Mrs. Beasley doll but watched the show plenty in the 70's.

    I can't think of a favorite toy...so many. Loved Barbie and all the different props that came along with her, like the motor home, the airplane, the townhouse (oh my, the townhouse with elevator and all), and the pool. I also loved to play with paper dolls. But I must be honest with ya, the game I remember enjoying most as a child was using a small grocery cart that I'd push along like a scooter pretending to be a bus driver. I'd whiz by, park it, honk the horn and welcome the kids in one by one. Occasionally, my best friend would actually step in as one of the school children I was pretending to drive, but since I was an only child, most of the time I'd simply use my imagination. Sometimes the simpler the toy the better.

    Have a great day, La.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that show. I wanted to grow up and be Cissie! My favorite toy was Chatty Cathy...we all were amazed that dolls could talk, weren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that show too. My sister had a Mrs. Beasley. It went with her everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that show too! In fact, my husband and I were just talking about it last week because he is in Terre Haute and that's where the show was supposed to take place.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comments, La!!! I know how hard it is...I'm still on it! lol
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's sad there's not more Mrs. Beasley types around for little girls. Great blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved that show! I am trying to remember if I had that doll or not. Memory just isn't what it used to be :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La