Google Website Translator Gadget

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ohio's North Shore

Hello Friends!

Did you have a fantastic weekend?  I hope you were able to beat the heat with some fun and relaxation.

Some of you know my dad hasn't been feeling up to par lately.  We've made several trips to the ER and doctors appointments lately.  Understandably, these struggles coupled with the excessive heat, have left him home-bound and feeling pretty blue. 
Yesterday, I packed him up and we went for a drive along Ohio's north shore, Lake Erie.  When I was a teenager, my parents had a house trailer just south of Port Clinton on the Portage River.  My dad loved it up there and we spent every weekend and five weeks of vacation there each summer.
** 
It rained most of the trip up and back, but it was nice while we were there.  It was hot and humid, but the overcast skies kept the sun from beating down on us.  There was a breeze, which there almost always is near the lake.  

WE started with a drive around Nugent's Canal, where we spent summers and boy has it changed.  Where there used to be empty lots along the canal, are year 'round homes, and summer cottages.  All the old boat docks have been replaced and most of them have boats tied up to them.  

For anyone who has ever visited, the old bouncy bridge over the canal no longer exists and The Point now has grass, a wooden ship for kids to play on and a decorative lighthouse.  Where the old facilities were now stands a community shelter with picnic tables.  The old restaurant/bar/bait shop is still open and is now called the Lagoon Saloon.  It now has outdoor seating.  Next trip we will definitely stop in for a drink and dinner.    
After this trip down memory lane, we moved along the shore to Port Clinton and Marblehead.  Our destination was the Marblehead Lighthouse so I could take some pictures for all of you. 
If you are a lover of lighthouses, you undoubtedly are familiar with the Marblehead Lighthouse as it is a famous jewel of Lake Erie.  Its location is ideal for views of Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay, Kelleys Island and South Bass Island.  Yesterday, we weren't able to see the islands due to the hazy and overcast weather.    
By the time I finished taking photos of the lighthouse, Dad was hungry.  A good sign.  We headed back to Port Clinton to Jolly Roger Seafood House for perch.  I was raised on perch as my Grandpa Benson was an excellent fisherman.  It is still my favorite fish.  
Named one of the best seafood dives by Coastal Living Magazine, Jolly Roger specializes in Lake Erie Perch and Walleye.  They also serve chicken, turkey, and other fish and seafood, but we were there for PERCH!  YUM!   
We had a wonderful day at the north shore, and Dad's spirits seem to be lifted.  Since he was such a good boy during our trip, I made him a big ice cream cone when we got home.
I will be linking this to Blue Monday, Mosaic Monday, and Seasonal Sunday


MAKE IT A GREAT DAY! 

 

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice trip! That's a pretty light house. Always amazes me the way things change. What used to be "the country" when I was growing up is wall to wall houses now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a nice day out with your dad, from the sound of it. A seafood dinner at the end was the perfect finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip, and super-quality Daddy time, that is fantastic. I am in awe of the Great Lakes, would love to see them in person one day, and I don't think I've ever eaten perch, tho' I love all kinds of fish. Super photos, La! xo,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello La,
    what a happy man to have a caring daughter like you. That all sounds so fantastic. Enjoy your week.
    best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi La, haven't been up that far in several years. I forgot how pretty it is. I hope your dad gets well soon. I am sure your caring ways will go a long way to that end.
    Take care, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it up there We went last summer. In the mid 90 we lived in Norwalk for 18 mo I loved going to the lake

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice of you to take your Dad on this tour. I am sure he enjoyed getting out and seeing how things have changed. Glad he was good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to Ohio but not sure about that place. We have only ever been there in Winter so it probably wasn't the best time of year to be near the water!

    I have posted about a few of my favourite Pinterest pins on my blog to launch my new Pinning and Singing Linky Party. If you have 5 Minutes to spare please pop by!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really nice drive, la and I;m sure it picked your dad's spirits up to be out of the house and on an adventure with you! I loved Coastal Living and the Jolly Roger Seafood House sounds like an excellent place to eat. I also love lighthouses and this is a pretty one. Hope we all get cooler weather soon --this humidity is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice that you were able to sneak in a trip with your dad! Looks like a great place to be with so many fond memories. I always feel sad when places from my childhood have changed. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti
    I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.

    What you have to do is follow these simple steps

    1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
    2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
    3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
    5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
    and that's it.

    Note: You must Visit my blog from Google.com. Only ONE click is asked and nothing else
    I will be very grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful trip to take with your Dad. Glad he was feeling well enough to go and that the weather was pleasant and he had a good time. The lighthouse looks lovely.. as do the pictures of the shoreline.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet that little adventure did your Dad a world of good, La! We haven't been to Marblehead in years & I enjoyed your report on the changes.

    I hope your Dad gets to feeling better soon. Maybe when this heat breaks & he can get outside more, huh? Give him a {{{HUG}}} from all your bloggie pals, okay?

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful time with your Dad and did you both good, I bet! Hope he is feeling better soon. I do love light houses and enjoyed reading about Marblehead and your perch meal! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lucky you are to be able to just take a drive to see such beauty and enjoy a fresh catch! It's 4-6 hour drive for us and oh how I wish we were closer to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an amazing day! Hope you're feeling better. Thanks so much for making your day a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great outing with your Dad.
    Very pretty scenery. I love lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La