Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday, October 29, 2010

Haunted House


This time of year, the words haunted house conjure up a vision of horror and evil. However, not all haunted houses are ominous and not all spirits are evil and scary. Jordan and I live with my father in the home in which I grew up. Our home has an extra resident who is neither related, nor alive.

From the time I was quite young, my bed would shake at night. This is not the feeling you get when you feel like you are falling out of bed and it was never violent. I would liken it to someone shaking you in order to awaken you. I never said anything until I was in my early 20s and I told my mother. She said she’d experienced the same thing, but never said anything either.

Our resident apparition is mischievous and playful. She will move things just to let you know she is there. Now I don’t mean I see things move. Things come up missing and when they reappear, they are in their rightful spot. Once, I had an item missing for weeks. Where did I find it? ON THE FLOOR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LIVING ROOM!

We had a shih tzu, named Peanut, who would walk over to the steps and watch her come down the stairway (backing away as she reached the bottom step), cross the living room and sit in a chair by the front window. Mom and I would just look at one another.

One day our neighbor Orlo was over for a visit. Orlo and Elvira built their home as newlyweds and had lived in the neighborhood for nearly 40 years. They were both very much interested in Marion history and had great stories of years past. As we visited with Orlo, he was telling us about past residents of our home. He said, You know Emmy B. died sitting in a chair in front of that window… WOW! Mom and I just looked at one another with wide eyes. We now had a name for our mischievous friend.

Now before you discount my story and think that my mother and I were crazy, listen to this…

My friend and neighbor, Babe (of Babe's Cake fame), took her children to the pediatrician one day. The doctor saw her address and told her he used to live on our street. She said yes that her friends now lived in the same house. He said, You know that house is haunted. He said his housekeeper refused to go in the basement because of the ghost. Personally, I’ve never had any issues in our basement aside from the creepy crawlies who call it home, but it could be Emmy didn’t like the housekeeper.

I hadn’t heard from Emmy since my mother died and some suggested Mom may have helped her pass over. However, a couple months back-- in the middle of the night-- my bed shook. I rolled over and said, Emmy, I’m trying to sleep here!

How ‘bout you? Have you ever lived in a haunted house? Ever experienced unusual activity?

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow that is interesting. I don't think I would like that La. I am sure if you just acted like it was normal and part of the house it wouldn't be such a big deal. Thanks for sharing your resident ghost story. Have a Happy Halloween!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea or experience with ghosts. I just stopped by to say, "I love ya, La!" May your very core be shaken this Halloween and have a lot of fun with your family and Emmy. You make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so spooky! Weird thing is that my house that I grew up in was haunted too. I never said anything to anyone about my experiences. Just kept it to myself. But one day my sister asked why I wouldn't sleep upstairs alone anymore and I told her about some of my experiences and then all of the sudden everyone in the family was retelling stories of what had happened to them. We had all kept it to ourselves and never told each other before, but everyone in the house had had experiences. We sold the house a few years ago and I wonder if the new owners have had issues also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have lived in houses that made us hypersensitive to sounds/apparitions too but my mom said she woke up once after my father passed away. He was very young and I was new born and she saw him standing by my crib patting me and I was quieted. I think that really comforted her. Loved your story. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No...I haven't and I'm glad. You sound so calm about it, I don't think I would feel the same way! It is interesting (as long as it is at your house!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...your story gave me goosebumps. I had heard a lot of the stories but not all. The shaking bed reminded me of when I used to sleep at Cheryl & Gary's on Cummins Ave. Many times I was awakened in their guest room by what felt like someone shaking the bed. It would stop when I awoke but I always had trouble getting back to sleep. Cheryl had heard someone had died in the house and many weird instances such as missing items would also show up later. Once a little girl visiting was by the stairway on the first floor and above her in the upstairs hallway was a bookcase with encyclopedia's within. They were tight together and it was very hard to remove one. This night, one was mysteriously pulled out and fell over the banister and landed near the little girl. We never figured out how that could have happened as there was no one upstairs at the time. HAPPY HALLOWEEN P.S. I loved the angle of the picture of your house as it made it look very eerie. Love, Auntie Mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very spooky...I haven't ever had an experience like that and I hope I don't...Happy Halloween to you and Emmy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so spooky to me. I probably would move. Such a scardy cat. lol Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spooky story..... At least she seems to be harmless! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! you never cease to amaze me with your many (until now) hidden talents. I didn't notice until Marilyn pointed it out,that the "Haunted House" is a picture of your house. Great photography work! I remember your Mom telling stories about "Emma". Love you, Have a Great Halloween week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh...I don't do scary. I'm a chicken...big time!
    Happy Halloween. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spooky story. La you are a brave one. I would have a for sale sign in the front yard, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. La, What a fascinating story! Glad your spook is not a scary one!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how I missed this one La, but I don't think I've ever heard that she had a name and that she died there in the living room. Do you remember when Charlie and I lived there for awhile? I've hated the basement since then and still do. Now I know why!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La