Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mom's Kitchen and Babe's Cake

Click Button

Hello Friends!

I’m joining Sheila for her Heart of the Home Party. Sheila asked us to submit posts about the heart of our homes, the kitchen.

When my mother was alive, our kitchen was always a hub of activity. She was always cooking or baking something delicious. My mother’s home was always open to family, friends, and neighbors. She was Mom to a lot of people, whether they were related or not.

In my twenties, every Friday we would gather around our kitchen table and celebrate the end of another work week. These TGIF parties were popular with everyone. Back then, my work week ended at 2:00 in the afternoon….and then the party was on.

Each week, my mother would fix different appetizers and we would choose a drink of the week. I can remember putting bottles of wine in the snow to chill. It didn’t take long for it to cool in the frigid Ohio temperatures and knee-deep snow.

My friend/neighbor who now lives in Indiana, Lanila (Babe), used to make a vodka lemonade slush that she would make in a Tupperware cake container. She would haul that cake container down the street to our house and tell the neighbors she was taking a cake to the Grubers’.

My mother’s been gone for almost 12 years now. Still, when I see an old friend they always say,
Remember your mom’s TGIF parties? Those are some great memories!

I don’t have any kitchen pictures for you today because my kitchen is on my remodeling to do list. I do, however, have a recipe for you. Here’s the recipe for Babe’s Cake.


Babe’s Vodka Slush Cake

3 1/2 Cups Water
1 Cup Sugar

Bring to a boil and set aside to cool. Once it is cooled, add:

1 - 6 Ounce Frozen Lemonade
1 - 6 Ounce Frozen Orange Juice
1 Cup vodka

Mix together and freeze (this will take quite a while so plan ahead). Before serving, scrape with a fork. Enjoy! TGIF!


I'm also linking to Story Tellers. Come over for a story or two.

Click button
to visit these parties


















21 comments:

  1. OMGosh! What a great story with the "cake" and what wonderful memories! This is what a kitchen should be everyone welcome, lots of friends and family, and "cake" is always good! Such a great post! Thanks for the recipe.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to a wonderful woman. It's great how many of your friends were touched by her. That cake sounds like something my husband will love. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a wonderful kitchen memory you have, you should consider telling your story at Story tellers!!the cake sounds interesting.....I think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story, it sounds like you had some very fun Fridays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing your story. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Note Songs party. I hope you'll drop by Atticmag to see our kitchens - it's a three for one!

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'd MUCH rather have this loving tribute to your mom than any ole pictures. Thanks so much for sharing..
    I am an olden woman now but I still miss my mama like it was yesterday.
    bwaaaaa....now I am sad. Better go fix myself a glass of wine and get ready for bed. :))
    Thanks again for the sweet story of your mama's kitchen.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. La, what a sweet, sweet story and wonderful tribute to your mother. Sounds like she was a gem! She will continue to live on in your heart as you share your memories with your friends.
    Have a great week, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a good idea! :) What a wonderful memory. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. La
    I love the recipe and thank you so much for visiting my kitchen.
    xoxo
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi La,
    Like you, my mother is gone, and I miss her. She was a warm, special lady. Yep, we're both blessed to have had such wonderful influences in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. G'morn ~ What a precious storym melting my heart with folding memories ... I am sure these memories melt your heart still ... back in the good ol' days it was so like this in many homes, not so much anymore.

    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi La.....My DIL's family makes something similiar called "Sneaky Petes".....it sneaks up on you a little later! Nice memories of your Mom!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi La! Oh, how sweet of a tribute to your Mother and her kitchen! I can imagine those were wonderful times. She would be so proud you were sharing her kitchen story in Blogland!
    Thank you so much for coming to my party.
    You are a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story just made my day. How sweet--I need to get busy making some memories of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that sounds like my kind of cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd almost rather hear your sweet story than see the kitchen anyway. What wonderful memories you have and I know how important memories can be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Mama sounds like my kinda girl! What great fun. It's so wonderful you have such great memories to hold on too. She sounds like she was definately the heart of the home. That is much better then any decor darling! Thanks for such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lori: I have many fond memories of your Mom (my sister) and her kitchen which was always cheerful. Whether we were celebrating someone's birthday or our yearly Christmas get-together, it was such a joyous place. She was a great pie-baker and especially her lemon meringue or butterscotch pies. I know these 2 pies were passed down from our mother and they were always picture perfect. No matter how full the Thanksgiving table was with all the family, if one of her kids friends had no place to go on that day, she would welcome them with open arms. She was an outstanding cook and wonderful hostess. Greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your kitchen story. I can picture of lots of great fun and love going on there. I also want some of that lemonade cake drink. What a lovely kitchen story. Post your kitchen when it is done. I know it will be lovely. I miss my mom too.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice story! Love the vodka slush twist. Great memories to have.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to have been a guest in your mom's TGIF kitchen. It sounds like it was "any excuse for a party". My mom used to keep a guest book and I can just picture those dear friends of theirs when I look through it. They were teetotalers, but they kept the coffee folks in business. I loved that era when people could "drop in".

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La