Google Website Translator Gadget

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Legend of the Poinsettia


Hello Friends!

Let's join Beth's Poinsettia Party today.

According to Mexican legend, a poor boy had no gift to lay beside the figure of baby Jesus in church on Christmas Eve. On his way to church, he heard an angel tell him to gather some dried weeds as his gift. As he laid them beside the other gifts, the weeds turned into beautiful flowers. The beautiful flowers were introduced to the US in 1825 by the first US Ambassador to Mexico, Dr. Joel Poinsett. The flower was later named ponsettia after Dr. Poinsett.



This beautiful flower is also known as
  • Christmas Star
  • Christmas Flower
  • Mexican Flame Leaf
  • Winter Rose
  • Noche Buena
  • Atakurk's Flower (Turkey)

Poinsettias are an integral part of my Christmas decor. I can't imagine our home without them and both live and silk poinsettias are used. I prefer the red variety, but recently I saw purple ones.

I use them over arches...

in my birdcage...

an this year, on my mantel.

Just a quick note: some of you commented about the picture above my mantel in this post. It is actually an etched mirror (sorry for the glare). My brother, Joe had it done for my father for Christmas last year. He took a photo of my father and late mother and had it etched onto a framed mirror. I was going to switch it out for a wreath during the holidays, but changed my mind.



We saw these poinsettias at French Hen Farm's Barn Sale this past weekend.

12 comments:

  1. You've got poinsettias in some interesting places. I like the swag over an archway and what a great idea to have them spilling out of a bird cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about poinsettias. I love how you have used them for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these flowers - they added such a festive look to a home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story. You gave me a good idea (probably for next year) I have a bird cage like that. If I ever find it again LOL I wil put a poinsettia in it- fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post La! Your home looks very festive and ready for Christmas-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely flowers and they definitely define the season. That is a lovely etching of your mother and father. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you used your poinsettias...so pretty! And the etching is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know some of those facts about the poinsettia. Thank you for sharing La. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. La, Thanks for providing a bit of history/legend about the poinsettia. I really like your photos and that etched mirror of your parents is fabulous! So glad you joined in the Poinsettia Party!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi La! Funny you should post about Poinsettia's because just this afternoon I seen purple ones at Krogers! I had never seen purple ones before! Thanks for the info and history on them. So interesting! It was so much fun meeting you in person yesterday and spending time with all of you. We will have to do it again soon! ~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi La. Beautiful flowers aren't they. Pink ones are my favorite. I wonder what the purple ones look like. I did a little decorating today and some laundry, hah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the poinsettia lesson. I never knew that. I like the red or cream ones. Not the blue ones with glitter on them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La