Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blast from the Past: Pippi Longstocking

Long before Harry, Ron, and Hermione hopped the Hogwarts Express for their first year of wizard school, children were entertained and amused by another child heroine. Her name, you ask? Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking, known by her friends as Pippi Longstocking. She was my favorite character growing up in the 60s.


Do you remember Pippi?

The Pippi Longstocking series was written by Swedish author, Astrid Lindgren. The 11 Pippi chapter books were published from 1945 to 2000. The books have been translated into 64 languages.


Pippi has fiery red hair, which she wears in pigtails pulled so tightly that they stick out sideways from her head. She sports a short patchwork dress with mismatched thigh-high stockings and big shoes.


As an unconventional eight-year-old, she spins many a tall tale and finds adventures around nearly every corner. She lives in a small Swedish village in a house she calls Villa Villekulla with her monkey, Mr. Nilsson and her horse, Lilla Gubben (Little Buddy). Her partners in crime, so to speak, are two children who live next door, Tommy and Annika.


Aside from her super-strength and keen common sense, Pippi possesses two main items. She has a suitcase full of gold coins, and a large chest of drawers containing various small treasures.


Who is your favorite children's literary character?

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!



11 comments:

  1. i was a big fan of pippi's
    who could not love a girl with all those names?
    especially mackrelmint :D
    BEAR HUGS
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading Pipi!!! Don't remember what I read in the books specifically...ugh. But I read them:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Pippi series, Pippi In The South Seas was my favorite. Wow, you brought back so many wonderful memories!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Pippi too!...but I always loved the Famous Five. An English friend passed on all her old books and I dreamed of adventure like they had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have her in France. Looks like she is fun!
    Have a super day!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Pippi. The movie version. My favorite book character is Nancy Drew. I always wanted to be her and date one of the Hardy Boys (from the tv show).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas the Train is the granddaughters favorite character and she can sing his songs verbatim at 4 years of age....lol....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being fascinated with Pippi back in grade school. Loved that wild crazy red hair and her stripey stockings! Am I older than dirt? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED Pipi when I was a girl. i dreamed of being her and read every book. Thanks for the reminder. I will now need to find those books so my daughter can read them! What a great memory!
    thanks!
    have a great week!
    linda

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La