Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday, June 10, 2011

Mississippi Mud Pie and a Party!

I scream
You scream
We all scream for ice cream!

According to Wikipedia, 90% of Americans consume ice cream.  Do you know what that means? Ten percent of Americans must be lactose intolerant because I can’t imagine anyone not loving this cold and creamy delight.  

Chocolate or strawberry…

In a cone or in a bowl….

Plain or piled high with toppings…

I LOVE IT ALL!

It is unfathomable to me to celebrate the summer holidays, especially Independence Day, without homemade ice cream.

In 1984, President Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month.  You gotta love a month that is dedicated to this treat.  The third Sunday in July is National Ice Cream Day.  The President decreed that “appropriate ceremonies and activities” should be observed on National Ice Cream Day, which this year falls on July 17.

Because I always try to do as I am told… I said I try!  I thought it would be fun to have an ice cream social.  I hope you will join me so I am not left with ice cream all over my face.  


Here’s the scoop!  

Write a post about ice cream.  It could be a poem, childhood memory, photos, a review of your favorite brand or flavor, a recipe for homemade ice cream or one that has ice cream as an ingredient…anything you like.

I will post a linky tool on Saturday, July 16 so you can link up.  I look forward to seeing you then.  Feel free to grab my button for your sidebar and tell your friends to stop by…the more the merrier!  

MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
1 Prepared Chocolate Crumb Crust (like Oreo)
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup Butter, cut up
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Nuts, chopped (whatever nut you prefer)
2 Pints Coffee Flavored Ice Cream (YUM!)

Heat sugar, chips, butter, cream, and corn syrup in small, heavy-duty saucepan over low heat.  Stir constantly, until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla.  Cool until slightly warm.

Drizzle 1/3 cup chocolate sauce in bottom of crust; sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts.  Layer 1 pint ice cream, scooping thin slices with a large spoon; freeze for one hour.  Repeat with 1/3 cup chocolate sauce,  1/4 cup nuts, and ice cream.  Drizzle with remaining sauce; top with remaining nuts.  Freeze for two hours or until firm.  Top with whipped cream before serving. 

This makes 8 standard servings or 6 La servings.  

I will be linking to Foodie Friday and Fat Camp Friday.

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

15 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo, sounds like fun! Love the pic:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be taste testing between now and then. Gotta find the perfect flavor of ice cream you know. All in the interest of your party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun and yummy! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. I have some ideas. Brave you trying the party thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! I LOVE ice cream! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to join in, so I'm becoming a follower - that way I won't forget or miss any more of your posts!
    .....and I love ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOO HOONESS..I can't wait..thanks so much for giving us time to get a really great post together for your party.
    I am taking the button to my place..now, eveytime I go to my blog, I'm gonna get hungry for ice cream. :)))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. O' I got just the cool treat, sounds like a fun linky party.
    And I sure hope that you will join me and Happier Than A Pig In Mud June 15th for the cook along with the Pillsbury Doughboy,I'm having my first giveaway(Doughboy & cookbook "101 things to do with canned Biscuits").
    yippee!
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  8. La, can I post this(Ice Cream Social),on my blog this week?
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I participated in an ice cream social a few years ago, so I am up for another,
    I will post it on my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love Mud pie. And you are right, who doesn't like ice cream...weirdos! Looking forward to the ice cream social! Thanks for linking to Fat Camp Friday, see you next week! http://bit.ly/jHOrlN

    ReplyDelete
  11. La, I will be at the social!! Mmmm mmmm good, and I will post it on my sidebar as well. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute idea.
    At first I thought you were having a real social and I was coming, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've already drafted my Ice Cream day post!!! This is going to be so much fun! Fattening, but fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like fun! I put the button up in my sidebar! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have my post up and will come back by to link..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La