Google Website Translator Gadget

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

Panera Bread periodically offers a Forest Mushroom Soup that is fabulous. Because they only offer it as a seasonal soup, I formulated this recipe. Jordan loves it and says it is better than Panera's. That's my boy!







1 1/2 Pounds Wild Mushrooms (I used 8 oz. each button and crimini and package of wild mushroom blend which included shitake, oyster, and mini bella)
1 Medium Shallot, chopped
4 Tablespoons Butter, divided
2 Springs Fresh Rosemary, chopped
2-3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 Cup Merlot
2 Cups Beef Stock
3 Cups Half & Half
Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in stock pot; cook shallot until translucent. Add all sliced mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt & pepper. Simmer until tender.

Once mushrooms are tender, pull out the thyme sprigs. Push the mushrooms to the side and add the remaining butter to the center of the pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour into melted butter and whisk out lumps. Cook this for a few moments to cook out flour taste. Add Merlot, beef stock, and half & half while stirring. Salt and pepper as needed. Just before serving, add parsley.

Serve with crusty bread.


I'm linking this post to Show & Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design and Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

8 comments:

  1. Hi La! I love to go to Paneras's and I love their mushroom soup! Your recipe sounds delicious! You must be a good cook!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog quite by accident and so happy I did.. I need to make your "Mushroom soup"..love those little mushrooms in and on anything...
    Take care!
    Sandy
    thewondersofdoing@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very odd.. went back to my e'mail and there you were commenting on my "Palm trees".... shall I say do-do-dodo!...lol
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup sounds incredibly delicious! Of course, with merlot and 3 cups of half-and-half, it has o be great! lol
    Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. La, this sounds delicious. I love mushrooms and put them in everything I can get by with. I'm going to have to try your recipe.

    Thanks for sharing and have a great week, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Costco offers a fabulous blend of dried wild mushrooms.... I'm definitely going to give this recipe a go. Thanks for mentioning Panera's soup - I always order the black bean, which is amazing, but next time I see this on their menu, I'll have to try it out.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never eat a canned mushroom soup but I would eat this beautiful homemade creation. I had a similar soup on my wedding day and I still dream about it....the soup not the day. Lol. Just kidding, it was a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this recipe and it was absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making it again!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La