Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday, August 30, 2010

Harding Memorial

Marion's claim-to-fame is that it was home to the 29th President of the United States, Warren G. Harding. Arguably one of the most scandalous presidencies in our country's history, his presidency was plagued with controversy involving bootlegging, bribery, and extra-marital affairs.

Even his sudden death was shrouded in mystery. Some theorized his death was the result of a plot spearheaded by the first lady. These theories were, in part, due to her refusal to authorize an autopsy. Years later this theory was discredited.

Still, we Marionites celebrate our President. Harding High School was named for this plagued president. The Harding Memorial and Tomb is a beautiful and popular tourist attraction in Marion. It serves as a marble back drop for pre-prom pictures, weddings, and sledding in the winter time. I'd love to share some views with you.




President Harding is on the left and Florence Kling Harding is on the right.



I will be linking to Outdoor Wednesdays.

13 comments:

  1. A familiar sight! As I mentioned before, my daughter lives close by and coaches cheerleading at the high school! beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew these things! Thanks for stopping by and following, good luck in the giveaway. Looking forward to getting to know you! have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I travel around the world following blogs. I really enjoyed sharing these great photos. I hope a question about this president comes up on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I can astound my family with my knowledge now! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love visiting places like this and seeing the sites. I laughed at the last comment...see you never know what you may learn in blog land:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a wonderful place to visit. What state are you in? This wouldn't happen to be Marion, SC would it? I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful landmark!! Oh and I got my DARLING items in the mail today and I'm loooving them! My little angel however, did snag the cherry clipboard and asked if she could use it to "pretend restaurant with" haha! I of course said it'd be the perfect order taker! :) So glad I won and thank you again sweets!!
    Huge hugs to you!
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well any town that can claim a piece of history should do so, even a scandalous one :-)
    Looks like your town has some lovely scenery, I would love to stroll around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a beautiful memorial and tomb. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a beautiful monument and some interesting facts.
    I am a new followe of your blog. i hope you will stop by one of mine and say hello.
    Blessing Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the history lesson and the fun facts. I don't remember really ever learing anything about Harding and I guess now I know why, we just didnt talk about such things back then! How pretty the prom pictures must turn out, its a very lovely scene.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful monument and fascinating history!

    Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. See, I had never heard about the scandalous part of his life. I just wikipedia'd him and he sure doesn't look like a ladie's man. Brad Pitt has nothing to worry about. That is one gorgeous memorial though!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I read every message and appreciate that you took the time to say hello.

See you soon! La